While it often takes the legal system longer to reflect changes in society, Dutch courts have given an example of the opposite with the decision to continue allowing virtual or hybrid hearings as an alternative to on-site hearings, when appropriate. At the same time, remote interpretation has become a valid option even for on-site hearings and legal meetings – not only in the Netherlands.
On the practical side, this calls for a different technical setup than the previous standard of interpreting booths or so-called whispering sets. The best and most hassle-free solution consists of a complete legal language service package with expert interpreters at its core, combined with technical support before and during court hearings and related meetings, plus translation and transcription services for all documents and multimedia files that support the hearing.
Distraction-free, seamless legal interpreting services
Parties at court need to focus on their cases. A language service provider specialized in the legal sector offers turnkey solutions including the services of expert linguists, enhanced by state-of-the-art technology solutions.
The options for remote channels are various. From Skype, Teams or Zoom as video conferencing tools to platforms tailored for multilingual meetings specifically. The interpretation services provider’s ability to advise on the best setup of each meeting and full flexibility to adapt to the parties’ needs and preferences choice is key.
Different techniques for different hearings, parties and budgets
To make an informed decision on the solution for the individual hearing, legal firms and entities need to know the alternatives and their different characteristics. Acolad Legal, expert in legal interpretation, translation and transcription, provides a comprehensive overview:
Simultaneous interpretation for multilingual hearings
For international cases, the need for simultaneous interpretation in various languages often comes up. For remote simultaneous interpreting) platform: Interpreters perform interpretation in different languages, enabling each participant to listen to the meeting in the desired language.
Multilingual hearings can be run via a dedicated remote simultaneous interpretation platform (RSI) as a stand-alone tool or connected to your preferred meeting platform, as well as via web-conferencing tools with RSI functionalities. It’s advisable to inquire with a specialized language service provider to help identify the solution that best balances costs and performance given the circumstances.
An easily overlooked detail while organizing the hearing, the need for so-called breakout rooms can come up, for a brief, confidential discussion or separate conversation. An expert service provider will help you anticipate these needs and find suitable, effective solutions.
Over-the-phone and video remote interpretation
Legal proceedings often require an on-the-spot, real-time, interpreting service for a live conversation. over the phone or video remote interpretation can help you communicate more easily with stakeholders speaking different languages:
- Use case: phone calls or transactional conversations (mainly 1:1)
- Interpreting mode: interpretation is consecutive, meaning that the interpretation is performed sentence-by-sentence after the speaker has finished speaking
- Service time frame: 24/7/365
- Profile: specialized legal interpreters
- Languages: 1 language pair (e.g. EN into FR and FR into EN)
- Reaction time: on-demand (immediate needs, without prior notice) or scheduled
In a nutshell: What to look for in legal interpreting services for multilingual hearings
With the right experts on board, remote interpreting has proven to be an effective solution for virtual and hybrid hearings with participants speaking different languages. Even for in-person hearings, remote interpreting can offer more flexibility and reduce costs.
When it comes to ensuring the best technical setup, the individual circumstances of the specific case, as well as the needs and preferences of the different participants often call for a tailored approach. The interpretation provider should offer all options and guarantee consultation to find out what setup would suit the participants best.
In short, when it comes to legal meetings or court hearings involving multilingual participants or documentation, the key factors to look for in your legal language partner are:
- Certified, sworn expert interpreters and translators
- Proven experience working with international legal firms and multilingual court cases
- A complete service portfolio, including state-of-the-art technology
- Technical support before and during court hearings or meetings
Translation of documents supporting the hearing (briefs, case documents, presentations etc.)
- Transcription of the hearing (verbatim record or summary) and of related multimedia files, such as depositions, trial dialogue and telephone recordings
- Strictest data protection and information security, absolute confidentiality from linguists and project team; compliance with professional codes of conduct
- Absolute confidentiality from linguists and project team; compliance with professional Codes of Conduct
- 24/7 availability
Discover how best-in-class interpreting solutions work in practice
Read this case study
Acolad Legal’s experts are available for you to clarify any questions on how they can best support your multilingual legal needs!